God is scary to me. I think that's because I associate him with an abusive father like my own biological father. He seems angry, distant, and demanding. This is the God that I see in the Old Testament as I am reading through it. That's why I've decided to write about an aspect of God's character each week. My purpose in life is to bring God glory in whatever way I can, and I want to get to know Him apart from the preconceived notions I have about Him.
This week I learned about Yahweh Yireh - the God who provides. During the time that the Old Testament was written (by the Divine inspiration of God - 2 Timothy 3:16-17), names were very important. Throughout the Old Testament, there are different names attributed to God that help us to learn more about who He is. In Praying the Names of God, Ann Spangler brings up the point that
"to know God's name is to enjoy a kind of privileged access to him. By revealing his name, God made himself not only accessible but vulnerable."
God reveals Yahweh Yireh in Genesis 22:13-14. It is in these verses that God provides a ram for Abraham to sacrifice instead of his son, Isaac.
This week, I saw the truth that God will provide for me.
Since I was 16, I have had a car of my own. This means that I have been afforded certain privileges. I can go where I want to when I want to. I am afforded a certain degree of privacy and can listen to whatever music I want to. I have the luxury of independence.
After this week, I have learned a couple of things about God. He is my Provider and He is my Connector. Since I have a car, I don't often have to depend on people in this way. I value my independence and enjoy doing what I want to do.
Last week, I had to have my car towed because it's having some engine issues. This was the first time in a while that I had to acknowledge I couldn't do things on my own. I need community. I need people. I need to trust God for provision. I was forced to ask for help. And people helped! God has surrounded me with an amazing, loving, generous community of friends. It is incredibly difficult to ask for help, especially when I am so used to doing everything on my own. But I asked for help and my friend is letting me borrow her car for the week (thank you Katy). God never intended for me to do this thing alone. When I am in need, it reminds me how much I need God and how much I need other people!
I really wanted God to provide me with a new car or the money to buy a new car. But He provided something even better - He provided me with community and a reminder that I am loved! He knows exactly what I need. I don't need a million dollars. I need Him first and community second.
Another thing that happened this week is that my mom is no longer able to come up to take care of me after I have my wisdom teeth out. This was very hard, but again this gently reminded me that God has provided fellowship, love, and support within the context of my community of friends. It is easy to ask for help from my family (most of the time). It is not easy to ask for help from my friends. God has been lavishly showing me His love through other people. My life group has been amazing. I have a dear friend who is driving me to surgery and other friends who are taking care of me afterward . My brother is driving 7 hours to take care of me over the weekend.
I have not been able to afford new clothes for the past 4 years. God always provides me with new clothes when I need them. I love hand-me-downs! Putting clothes together is like painting and allows me to be creative with what God has given me.
The way that God provides is often through other people. May I learn to be someone who can provide for other people through what God has given me. In every situation, there is always something to be grateful for. Today, I am grateful that I can trust God's provision and that I can truly be grateful in every circumstance.
Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:18
And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:19
No comments:
Post a Comment