Friday, July 19, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Belong

For years I felt like I didn't belong. The wounds from my trauma yelled at me and told me that I was different, ugly, broken and could never be repaired. Their yells were louder than the still, small voice of the Lord, that I now realize was nudging me along in truth even in the midst of my brokenness.

I went through college listening to the yells of the enemy and what my wounding told me. I quit drinking afterward and still felt like I didn't belong. Friends moved away and I was left by myself to battle the wounds of my past with vengeance.

And then, God moved. As He always does. I hadn't noticed His voice in years, hadn't felt His presence in too long.  He connected me with a group called ThirdPlace, an authentic community of 20-30 somethings and young professionals, people in touch with their brokenness and trying desperately to remember that Jesus gets all of the glory for getting us out of the miry pit. I am so grateful to feel like I belong in a group of misfits, addicts, and imperfect people. It is such a gift to be a mess and still considered God's dearly loved child.

Check out http://lisajobaker.com/five-minute-friday/ to find out more about Five Minute Friday, a community of women writers.

3 comments:

  1. I appreciate your transparency. It is a blessing to see how God has brought you to a place where you know you belong simply because you are HIS, and that's all you need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I have lived a similar story and am continually amazed at how much of a mess I can be and God still draws me close. If we're honest, I think we're all a mess. If we weren't, we wouldn't need God. How wonderful to find a place where you belong and can be yourself!

    ReplyDelete