Thursday, March 3, 2011

Boundaries

So I realize I've been a bit depressed for a while, and I think I figured out part of the reason is because I haven't had great boundaries with people who really don't deserve to have access to me. I am working at my first job and realized that there are some people who can poison others against basically an entire office. That's all I'm going to say on that subject, but I've learned that I'm easily manipulated. After someone survives a trauma, one of two things usually happens: they either develop rigid boundaries or let people walk all over them. Before I started drinking I had rigid boundaries and didn't trust anyone or let anyone in. But drinking opened a whole new world for me that unfortunately involved people constantly traipsing over my boundaries. The book I'm reading about boundaries mentions that some people have trouble with both. They let the wrong people in and keep the right people out. I think that God is teaching me a lot about this, and I truly am learning that "all things work together for good for those who love the Lord." I really believe that He has protected me from a lot of things, but something hard is when I feel vulnerable.
Last night one of my DUI students gave me his number, which may seem harmless, but it made me feel violated. Especially considering the work that I do, I was thinking the worst about what the outcome would be. I was afraid that he would be standing by my car after class ended and that I would be kidnapped, raped, and left for dead. Obviously I'm still here. It's scary to think that a person is really never safe, but I am trying to build up my boundaries and be careful not to run over others' boundaries in order to at least keep myself emotionally safe. Abusers can pick out victims in a crowd of people, and I am afraid that I will always have this "victim" tag attached to me. But I know that God has other plans and has put some absolutely phenomenal people in my life. I know from my good friendships that it is possible to have a healthy give-and-take in a relationship. Life is truly a learning process, and I feel like I am only at the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment